Why Row at the BC Summer Games?
- It is the first exposure to a multi-sport games for U17 “train-to-train” athletes;
- It mimics selection for major teams like Team BC, Junior National Team and Senior National Team;
- It provides race experience in three formats – skills event, time trial, and head to head racing;
- It includes pre-games training tailored specifically to BC Summer Games event preparation;
- It provides access to athlete resources on many topics, including physical and psychological preparation, goal setting, nutrition and travel tips;
- It exposure athletes to Rowing BC Provincial Coaches;
- It is an opportunity to experience team travel, networking with other BC athletes and coaches and promotes general rowing skill development.
Your chance to get involved
U17 athletes are eligible to compete for the Zone in which they live.
Zone 1 – Kooteneys
Rowing organizations in this Zone: Nelson Rowing Club, Rockies Rowing Club, Lake Windermere Rowing Club
Head Coach: Roberta Rodgers
Selection Event: June 3rd
Full Zone 1 Selection Document available here.
Zone 2 – Thompson – Okanagan
Rowing organizations in this Zone: Kamloops Rowing Club, Shuswap Rowing Club, Vernon Rowing Club, Kelowna Rowing Club
Head Coach: Glen Stiven
Assistant Coach: Dan Thompson
Selection Event: June 2nd
Full Zone 2 Selection Document available here.
Zone 3 – Fraser Valley
Rowing organizations in this Zone: Fort Langley Youth Rowing Society, Fraser Valley Rowing Club
Head Coach: Emily Down
Assistant Coach: Caitlyn Santos
Selection Event: May 19th
Full Zone 3 Selection Document available here.
*Note: Zone 3 Selection will follow Plan B in the form of an erg selection. Meet in the Athletic Training Room (formerly known as the Riverside Room) in the main building overlooking the rowing dock (9277 Glover Road Langley).
Zone 4 – Fraser River
Rowing organizations in this Zone: Inlet Rowing Club, Burnaby Lake Rowing Club
Head Coach: Kenzie Thompson
Assistant Coach: Paul Whitmore
Selection Event: June 3rd
Full Zone 4 Selection Document available here.
Zone 4 Expression of Interest.
Zone 5 – Vancouver Coastal
Rowing organizations in this Zone: Collingwood School Rowing, Crofton House School Rowing, Deep Cove Rowing Club, Delta Deas Rowing Club, False Creek Rowing Club, Thunder Rowing Crew, Salish Sea Coastal Rowing, St George’s School Rowing, Vancouver College School Rowing, Vancouver Rowing Club, Whistler Rowing Club
Head Coach: Drew Edwards
Assistant Coach: Kieffer Silva Pinto
Selection Event: May 20th
Full Zone 5 Selection Document available here.
Zone 6 – Vancouver Island – Central Coast
Rowing organizations in this Zone: Brentwood College School Rowing, Claremont Sports Institute Rowing, Gorge Narrows Rowing Club, Greater Victoria Youth Rowing Society, Maple Bay Rowing Club, Nanaimo Rowing Club, Salt Spring Island Rowing Club, Shawnigan Lake School Rowing, St Michael’s School Rowing, Victoria City Rowing Club
Head Coach: Connor McGuigan
Assistant Coach: Liz Fenje
Selection Event: June 10th
Zone 6 General Information.
Full Zone 6 Selection Document available here.
Zone 7 – North West
Zone 8 – Cariboo – North Each
Rowing organizations in this Zone: South Cariboo Rowing Club
Head Coach: Will Van Osch
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact Rowing BC Programs and Communications Coordinator, Sonja Lonne.