The rowing competition at the 2018 BC Summer Games includes events for male and female athletes under 17 years of age as of December 31, 2018. The competition is intended to provide a first multi-sport Games experience for developing athletes. Rowers compete in a variety of race and skills events, held over 3 days. Athletes have an opportunity to row in the following boat classes: women’s single, men’s single, women’s doubles, men’s doubles, and mixed quads (two male and two female rowers). The BC Summer Games is a wonderful opportunity for athletes to develop their skills as racing will be held over 500m, 1000m and 1500m in the different events.
Each Zone at the BC Summer Games will be supported by a Head Coach and an Assistant Coach.
Coaches will benefit from involvement at the BC Summer Games through:
- Rowing BC organized BC Summer Games Coach Workshop including a guest speaker at no cost – eligible for NCCP professional development points
- access to coach resources on the topics of psychological preparation, goal setting, nutrition for travel, warming up, recovery nutrition, travel tips, combating flu and cold, and concussion toolkits for coaches
- exclusive presentation at BC Summer Games from an RCA High Performance Coach/Athlete
- learning and mentorship opportunities both before and during the BC Summer Games (mentorship possibilities include opportunities at local rowing organization, BC regattas, or the 2017 National Rowing Championships/Canada Cup Regattas)
- a great addition to your coaching resume
- entry point for Provincial Team management skill development
- access to Canadian Sport Institute Speaker Series
- networking with coaches and athletes from across BC
- access to working alongside the Rowing BC Provincial Coach
- experience coaching racing skills and techniques as well as skills event components
- potential opportunity to attend associate umpire training
- experience providing leadership over team travel
- free Rowing BC Zone Coach shirt and Team BC Swag
A call-out for applications to the Head Coach and Assistant Coach positions for each Zone is available here.
Coaches are still needed in some zones. If you are interested, apply now!
If you have any questions or would like more information regarding coaching at the 2018 BC Summer Games, please contact Rowing BC Coaching Coordinator and Para Coach, Martin George.