*NEW* Format for 2022
The rowing competition at the 2022 BC Summer Games includes events for male and female athletes in two age categories – Under 17 as of Dec. 31, 2022 and Under 19 as of Dec. 31, 2019. The competition is intended to provide a first multi-sport Games experience for U17 developing athletes, while also providing a Canada Summer Games-like experience for U19 athletes. Competition takes place over one practice day and three race days at the Games venue. U17 Athletes have an opportunity to race in sculling events, while U19 athletes have an opportunity to race in sweeping events.
Each Zone at the BC Summer Games will be supported by a U17 Head Coach, U19 Head Coach, and an Assistant Coach. All coaches are expected to be working through the RCA Coach Education Pathway. Head Coaches must be RCA Coach Certified by the time of the Games.
Coaches will benefit from involvement at the BC Summer Games through:
- Rowing BC organized BC Summer Games Coach Workshop including a guest speaker at no cost – eligible for NCCP professional development points
- access to coach resources on the topics of psychological preparation, goal setting, nutrition for travel, warming up, recovery nutrition, travel tips, combating flu and cold, and concussion toolkits for coaches
- exclusive presentation at BC Summer Games from an RCA High Performance Coach/Athlete
- learning and mentorship opportunities both before and during the BC Summer Games (mentorship possibilities include opportunities at local rowing organizations, BC regattas, or the 2019 National Rowing Championships/Canada Cup Regattas)
- a great addition to your coaching resume
- entry point for Provincial Team management skill development
- access to Canadian Sport Institute Speaker Series
- networking with coaches and athletes from across BC
- access to working alongside the Rowing BC Provincial Coach
- experience coaching racing skills and techniques as well as skills event components
- potential opportunity to attend associate umpire training
- experience providing leadership over team travel
- free Rowing BC Zone Coach shirt and Team BC Swag
A call-out for applications to the Head Coach and Assistant Coach positions for each Zone will be available closer to the event date.
If you have any questions or would like more information regarding coaching at the 2022 BC Summer Games, please contact Rowing BC Coaching Coordinator and Para Coach, Martin George.