CAMP: Coastal Development Camp (Penticton)
June 23, 2023 - June 25, 2023
Coastal Development Camp (Penticton)
This camp is open to anyone with rowing experience! Coastal is still a growing discipline of the sport. If you’re a little curious about what coastal rowing is really all about, come join this camp! Or if you are already a coastal rower and want to spend a weekend training alongside other coastal rowers and building a stronger sense of community, then this camp is also for you!
This camp will be led by the coastal rowing expertise of Michelle Boss, with additional support from Rowing BC’s Executive Director, Alia Zawacki, and Rowing BC’s Director of Performance, Terry Paul.
Michelle has been involved in coastal rowing for more than a decade, first racing at the 2011 World Coastal Championships in Italy and many other events since then. She is a Board member for Open Aviron Coastal Rowing Association (OARCA), one of only two Rowing BC member organizations dedicated specifically to coastal rowing (and the host organization of the 2018 World Rowing Coastal Championships held in Sidney, BC!). She was also recently the Team Manager for Canada’s team at the 2022 Commonwealth Beach Sprints Regatta in Namibia. Michelle’s personal experience in the coastal boats, as well as her many years of rowing team management will make this camp an excellent learning opportunity for all who attend.
This weekend camp is an opportunity to:
- Gaining experience in a variety of coastal shells (different sizes, different brands)
- Practicing coastal skills in both calm and wavy conditions
- First exposure to what would happen at a beach sprint-format regatta
- First exposure to what would happen at a World Rowing Coastal Championships (WRCC) format regatta
- Race practice in a beach sprint and WRCC format regatta
- Wine Tour!
Where: Skaha Lake Park, Penticton, BC
- Friday, June 23rd
- 6:30 PM Welcome and Group Dinner – location TBA
- Saturday, June 24th
- 7:00-8:00 AM Equipment Prep and Dayplan
- 8:00-10:00 AM First Row – getting used to coastal equipment
- 10:30-11:30 AM Lunch – participants to bring own lunch or choose something nearby
- 12:00-2:00 PM Second Row – endurance race formats, tips & tricks
- 2:30-3:30 PM Break
- 4:00 PM Wine Tasting – location TBA
- 6:00 PM Group Dinner
- Sunday, June 25th
- 8:00-11:00 AM First Row – Introduction to Beach Sprint format and real Beach Sprint!
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM Equipment Pack Up and Camp Wrap Up
- 11:00 AM-1:00 PM Second Row – Come Try event for local residents (camp participants welcome to also participate)
- 1:00-2:00 PM Trailer loaded and leaving
Complete your registration and payment ($350 per participant) through EventBrite HERE.
Registration closes on May 25th – sign up early to ensure you have a spot!
Participants are required to arrange their own transportation, accommodation and meals. Rowing BC will make a group reservation for the Wine Tasting and Dinner, but all associated costs are the responsibility of each participant. All rowing and safety equipment will be provided.
For more information about this camp, contact Rowing BC’s Manager of Membership Services, Sonja Lonne.