Job Posting: Rowing Coach for Nanaimo Rowing Club
Nanaimo Rowing Club (NRC) is located on the shores of Long Lake, our club is welcoming and supports our coaches and athletes through all phases of rowing development and excellence. NRC brings together people who enjoy the sport of rowing and who want to learn. The purpose of the Club is to provide recreational and competitive rowing in our community and to encourage participation in the sport. We offer programs designed for beginner, intermediate and advanced rowers interested in fun, fitness, recreation and/or competition. NRC also offers learn to row for athletes with disabilities.
Under the direction of the NRC Head Coach, the NRC Rowing Coach will be responsible for promoting and coaching new rowers from community groups funded by various grants. The Rowing Coach will also provide coaching to NRC’s existing junior, senior and adult program members.
• To promote and coach NRC’s Introduction to Rowing and Learn to Row programs to community groups supported by grant funding.
• To coach NRC’s existing junior and adult rowing programs.
• Provide a high level of instruction and coaching to all participants in NRC’s rowing programs.
• Work with the Head Coach to identify training objectives (fitness, fun, competitive, etc) and develop training plans to meet these objectives.
• Communicate information to rowers (using WhatsApp)
• Follow all Club safety rules and procedures.
• Reinforce all safety rules and procedures, including safe boat handling methods and on-water flow patterns and ensure they are being followed.
• Communicate with the Head Coach to ensure that any issues, concerns and requests are addressed.
• Completion of RCA Every Coach Certified requirements
• Prior experience as a rowing coach working with junior and adult rowers
• Prior experience coaching athletes with disabilities is desirable
• Experience as a high level, competitive rower is desirable
• BC boat operator’s card
• Ability to operate a boat
• Friendly, enthusiastic, and avid rower and promoter of rowing as a competitive sport and as a fitness activity
• Approximately 35 hours/week
• Work hours could be split between early morning and afternoons/evenings, weekdays, weekends and evenings. (see Note 1)
• April 1 – August 31, 2023, with a possible extension from September 1 – October 31, 2023. (see Note 2)
Note 1: hours may vary from week to week with the expected range being 22-30+ hours/week, Rowing Coach may be scheduled to work during regattas at the direction of the Head Coach.
Note 2: position may be extended with reduced work hours per week in September and October.
Criminal Record Check:
Applicants for this position must consent to a Criminal Record Check.
If you are interested in this position, please email your resume to [email protected] no later than March 22, 2023.